The Interfacultary Centre of Biomaterials
The mission of CEIB is to promote a PLURIDISCIPLINARY and INTEGRATED research activity from the first draft leading to the design of a biomaterial to its final industrial application.
CEIB's research activities are in the field of biomaterials and drug delivery systems.
CEIB has many analytical services provided to various pharmaceutical/medical companies.
The Interfacultary Centre of Biomaterials (Centre Interfacultaire des Biomatériaux : CEIB) of the University of Liège (Belgium) belongs to 4 faculties of the University, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Sciences and Applied Sciences.
- 1. Biomaterials : tissue engineering for bone and soft tissue reconstruction, based on biodegradable polymers. Polymer synthesis and processing. In vitro testing. Possibility of preclinical testing.
- 2. Drug delivery systems based on synthetic polymers. Micro-nanodrug delivery systems. Formulation optimization, in vitro studies.
- 3. Analytical services provided to various pharmaceutical/medical companies
The CEIB offers services and consulting. Its analytical services are related to the :
I. Physico-chemical and mechanical analysis of materials :
- 1. Particle size analysis of nano-micron sized materials by Dynamic Light Scattering, Light Diffraction, Coulter Multisizer, microscopy (optical, SEM, TEM)
- 2. Analysis of the Zeta potential of colloids and of cells with Coulter Beckman DELSA 440 SX
- 3. Analysis of organic compounds by High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) coupled with several detectors (UV, fluorescent, RI, ELSD, Light Scattering)
- 4. Analysis of molecular weight of hydrosoluble or hydrophobic macromolecules by Size Exclusion Chromatrography coupled to Multi Angle Light Scattering (SEC-MALS) or RI/UV detection.
- 5. Morphology analysis of materials by optical or electron microscopies : transmission, reflection microscopes, stereomicroscope, normal and inverse modes. TEM and SEM microscopes.
- 6. Thermal analysis of materials by Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
- 7. Viscosimetry analysis of liquids, paste with a rotational viscosimeter (cone/plate) and or capillary viscosimeter (Ostwald Viscosimeter)
- 8. Dynamic Contact Angle Analysis
- 9. Analysis of the Static Mechanical Properties of Materials
II. In vitro study of the stability of polymeric materials
III. In vitro hemocompatibility of biomaterials/medical devices adopting normal human blood and according to international standards.
IV. Polymer synthesis - Functionalized polyesters based on polylactide/glycolide or epsilon-caprolactone ; scale : gr to 100 gr - Vinyl polymers produced by living radical polymerization.
Available equipment :
- Polymer synthesis and characterization methodologies (NMR, SEC, DSC, UV/FTIR/RAMAN spectroscopies)
- Other analytical equipments :
- *Coulter Multisizer : size distribution and counting of particles (0.8 to 500 µm)
- *Coulter DELSA : Zeta potential of colloids
- *Size exclusion chromatography coupled to Static light Scattering detector (Dawn and Optilab)
- *Cell culture Facilities and confocal microscopy - Atomic Force Microscopy (Dimension 3100 and Nanoscope IIIa)
- *SEM (+ EDX) ; image analysis software - Molecular biology facilities
- *Patch-clamp facilities
- *Surgery facilities for small animals
Availability for SME's :
These services are performed according to quality controls and adopting certified standards (SOP, check-lists, analysis sheets, reports, with double-check controls). The results are delivered within 7 calendar days after reception of the samples. Urgent samples possible on request.
Centre interfacultaire des biomatériaux (CEIB)
Dr. Christian Grandfils
Bât. B6, Allée de la Chimie, 3
4000 Liège (Sart-Tilman)